Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sometimes you need to burn a bridge…

instead of trying to repair one.

Earlier today, I made a quiet decision that, in hindsight, was a long time coming: I cut ties with someone who I thought was one of my best friends. I’m not going to name names, or get into the details of the why, but it was basically predicated upon a gradual and eventual loss of mutual respect. Or, at the very least, I lost all respect for this individual.

And you can’t have much of an acquaintanceship, let alone a friendship, without respect.

The thing that’s strange for me is that I feel good about it. I don’t feel regret. I don’t feel sad. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, but I just don’t have the time, energy or willingness to try to fix friendships that are falling apart at the foundational level. Life’s too short to cling to pent up animosity and what not. The blame can be distributed depending upon the perspective, I suppose. It is what it is.

So, sometimes you need to burn a bridge instead of trying to repair one. This is one of those situations for me, and I don’t think I did the wrong thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment