Saturday, June 13, 2009

So this is my blog...

and I figure I'll have more energy and willingness to keep this up rather than posting notes on Facebook all the time (which I'll still do, of course). I've attempted to start blogs in the past (and I wrote like crazy on my Myspace blog - which I barely ever log into now by the way), but I've always given up after a while, for whatever reason - boredom, laziness, getting sick of second-guessing everything I posted. This time, I'll try to break through all that and broadcast my thought and opinions to all of you - unfiltered, uncensored, unapologetic - and not worry about whether or not you're all gonna feel it. Some of you will, some of you won't - it is what it is. I'd like to believe that my friendships and kinships are strong enough to withstand differences of opinion in regards to politics, religion, pop culture, sports, etc. We all are who we are for a reason, and we've arrived at our current positions in a very unique manner.

I use the term "position" rather than "conclusion" because I believe my points of view are always going to change in some varying degree or another. To me, there's always something to be learned, or a point of view to be considered. At the same time, I'm not afraid to challenge a point of view, and I welcome challenges to mine; that's how we learn and progress as people. The philosopher G.W.F. Hegel brought about the concept of "dialectic," where one idea (a thesis) is met by a counter-idea (an antithesis), and the two clash and conflict and eventually merge into a new idea (a synthesis). The synthesis, then, becomes a new thesis and the process repeats itself. That's how I like to view my process of education and self-awareness, as dialectical and ever-evolving.

So hopefully this will be the first post of many, and hopefully it'll get me back in the swing of things as far as writing is concerned. I used to write so much more when I was in college, and the year or so afterwards until I joined the Air Force. Has the Air Force made me worse as a writer? I don't think so, but it's definitely made it a lot less enjoyable with regards to the working hours and such. Frankly, I miss being a pissed-off college student; it just sparked something in me that made me want to write all the time. Now I'm slowly becoming a pissed-off Airman; maybe this will do the same thing.

Anyways, I'm still in uniform after working a 10 hour shift on a Saturday, so I'm going to change and enjoy my one day weekend. In the meanwhile, I'll have thoughts and ideas brewing to share with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment